Herzlich willkommen

Herzlich willkommen auf der Unimog-Community-Website. Seit 1999 treffen sich hier die Mercedes-Benz Unimog- und MBtrac-Enthusiasten zum Meinungsaustausch und Fachsimpeln.

Hier werden Fragen zur Technik und zur Restauration des Unimog gestellt.

Moderator: stephan

Hello everybody!

I'm new in the world of Unimog's. I just bought my first one, hope it's not the last.
I' ve been driving it for around 50 kilometers and now it's stuck.

The problem is in the Intermediate gearbox(Please correct me if I am wrong???), you can see in the attached picture.
I parked it in the backyard of my house, left the intermediate gearbox lever(4) in the neutral(middle) position and when I wanted to move again I couldn't push the lever forward or back, stuck in neutral position.
If I push hard forward on the lever with the engine running the Mog starts moving forward just a bit and then it stops, if I try to push it backwards it's like I'm pushing against the wall no movement of the lever or the Mog.

Please advise what to do?

It's a 1985, Unimog 406, 62kW, gearbox in the picture.

Still didn't purchase repair manual's, in the process, but because of work unable to touch the Mog for another 6 weeks, working offshore.

If you have any pictures of the intermediate gearbox gears or anything etc. it would be a big help?

Also some advice what instruction and service manuals to buy? Maybe on buchunbild.de?
Dateianhänge:
Intermediate gearbox.jpg
Intermediate gearbox.jpg (87.91 KiB) 1188 mal betrachtet
Hello unknon
welcome here. We ask for attention to the courtesy rules (Nettiquette). It is customary here to sign each post with our name.

The literature of Buch & Bild is the original literature of Mercedes Benz, the publisher has the sole copy rights. The manuals are available in many languages.

To your problem. Probably the lever 2 (cascade gearbox) is no longer in the rearmost position. With this transmission version the lever has three positions. Try to push the lever to full left and pull it back.
First bring the main gear lever (1) into the leftmost position, a pressure point between level 3/4 and 1/2 is noticeable and needs some effort.
The main gear lever and the reverse gear lever should be in neutral.
I parked it in the backyard of my house, left the intermediate gearbox lever(4) in the neutral(middle) position
why that ? the split gear lever can stay in it´s postion, only the main lever needs to move in neutral position.
In normal operation the intermediate gear is only required in gears 5 and 6, in the lower gears is in the rear position (full gear). In the lower gears this is only used for pulling of heavy loads .

Wir bitten um Beachtung der Höflichkeitsregeln Nettiquette. Wir unterschreiben hier jeden Beitrag mit unserem Namen
Die Literatur von "Buch & Bild" ist die originale Literatur von Mercedes Benz, der Verlag hat die alleinigen Copy Rights.
Die Handbücher sind in vielen Sprachen erhältlich
Zu deinem Problem. Vermutlich ist der Hebel 2 (Vorschaltgetriebe) nicht mehr in der hintersten Position. Bei dieser Getriebeausführung hat der Hebel drei Positionen.Versuche einmal, den Hebel ganz nach links zu drücken und nach hinten zu ziehen.
Vorher den Hauptschalthebel (1) in die ganz linke Position bringen, dazu ist ein Druckpunkt zwischen der Ebene 3/4 und 1/2 spürbar und benötigt etwas kraftaufwand.
Hauptschalthebel und Vor- Rückwärtsganghebel sollten in Leerlaufposition stehen.
Im normalen Fahrbetrieb ist der Zwischengang nur in den Gängen 5 und 6 erforderlich, in den unteren Gängen ist dieser in der hinteren Position (ganze Gangstufe)In den unteren Gängen wird dieser nur bei schwerer Zugsarbeit genutzt.
My cascade group selection lever(2) was in the rearmost position.
Main gear lever(1) was in 1st gear and in neutral in between 1st and 2nd gear, tried shifting cascade/transmission lever with lever(1) in both positions.

But my forward/reverse(3) lever was either in forward or reverse, I didn't notice it had a neutral position????
Your question why I left cascade/transmission lever(4) in neutral, I didn' t know beacause nobody gave me exact instructions how to operate it. The man I bought it from was the owner of the company who owned the Unimog, the driver wasn't there, he had no idea how to drive it.

Mein Vorschaltgetriebe-Hebel (2) war in der hintersten Position.
Der Hauptganghebel (1) war im 1. Gang und im Leerlauf zwischen dem 1. und 2. Gang, ich habe versucht, den Vorschaltgetriebe-Hebel mit dem Hebel (1) in beiden Positionen zu schalten.
Aber mein Vorwärts-/Rückwärtshebel (3) war entweder vorwärts oder rückwärts, ich bemerkte nicht, dass er eine neutrale Position hatte????????
Deine Frage, warum ich VZwischengan-Getriebehebel (4) im Leerlauf gelassen habe, wusste ich nicht, weil mir niemand genaue Anweisungen zur Bedienung gab. Der Mann, von dem ich ihn gekauft habe, war der Besitzer der Firma, der den Unimog besaß, er hatte keine Ahnung, wie man ihn fährt, der Fahrer war nicht da. (Übersetzung mit Deepl)

Regards,
Branko Morovic
So my questions are:

1. Can the cascade/transmission lever(4) be shifted from neutral position if the forward/reverse lever(3) is left in either forward or reverse position?

2. Does the forward/reverse lever(3) have a neutral(middle) position?

3. Does somebody have a picture of the cascade/transmission lever(4) gear assembly(inside the gearbox)?
Regards,
Branko Morovic

Also meine Fragen sind:
1. Kann derZwischengang-Getriebehebel (4) aus der Neutralstellung verschoben werden, wenn der Vorwärts-/Rückwärtshebel (3) entweder in Vorwärts- oder Rückwärtsstellung verbleibt?
2. Hat der Vorwärts-/Rückwärtshebel (3) eine neutrale (mittlere) Position?
3. Hat jemand ein Bild von dem Zwischengang-Getriebehebel-(4) Getriebeanordnung (im Getriebe)?
Grüße
Branko Morovic

Moin. Ich habeden Burgmannring ersetzt und die Kur[…]

Hallo Alex, danke Dir. Da ich ja den Auger verbau[…]

Wer kann mein Tinyhouse ziehen ?

Moin Ralf Wenn Dein Daily 3,5t ziehen darf,dann ka[…]

Hallo Florian, zu Deinen Fragen: Der große D[…]