Herzlich willkommen

Herzlich willkommen auf der Unimog-Community-Website. Seit 1999 treffen sich hier die Mercedes-Benz Unimog- und MBtrac-Enthusiasten zum Meinungsaustausch und Fachsimpeln.

Hier werden Fragen zur Technik und zur Restauration des Unimog gestellt.

Moderator: stephan

Hello to all.

My name is Nuno and i'm from Portugal, i own a Unimog 411 and i have a big fascination for it's design and history.
I'm sorry that i cannot speak or write German :(
I've decided to write in english as i have seen some other posts in English where some of you replied, i any case if anybody finds more appropriate i can use the translator.

Recently my gearbox start dripping, after looking i realised the problem was in the cast cover where the tachometer connects. After some close up pictures and a look in the manuals i realised the tooth wheel on the gearbox shaft dig into the the cover, to the point where a hole is open in gearbox cover, and oil is running out.
Before dismantling the cover i have ordered the gasket. At the same time i dismantled a spare gearbox to better understand what could of happen. I'm still confused, and after searching here on the forum i could not find any post related.
Do you know if this is a common failure and how should i address it?
Is the special puller mention on the manual really necessary?
The manual mention to heat up the shaft to around 200 degrees and then insert the tooth wheel, i'm afraid to damage the shaft oil retainer that is close by...
I appreciate your help if possible.

Thanks!

Nuno

I have some pictures to show better what i wrote:
Pictures - 01 and 02, are from the failure gearbox.
Picture - 03 and 04, are from a spare gearbox i have.
Dateianhänge:
picture_01 1.jpg
picture_01 1.jpg (49.28 KiB) 385 mal betrachtet
picture_02 1.jpg
picture_02 1.jpg (48.87 KiB) 385 mal betrachtet
picture_03 1.jpg
picture_03 1.jpg (39.39 KiB) 385 mal betrachtet
Zuletzt geändert von anja411 am 04.06.2020, 19:25, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.
Hello Nuno,

I will try to help you.
The only oportunity, that the Pinion of the speedometer attach the cover is, the fixing of the countershaft is faulty. Normally the countershaft has an axial tolarance of 2/100mm, so it will never touch the cover.
You have to remove the cover at your active gearbox and check the grooved nut, seeing on picture 3. This nut clamps the axle between the 2 bearings. There must not any axial tolarance! In fact of tolarance there is anything wrong with the bearings or the countershaft itself. But in this case , you have to dismount the gearbox from the Unimog, there is no other way out.

Good luck with the repairing and keep us informed.
Greets from Hamburg
Thomas
Wer kann mein Tinyhouse ziehen ?

Moin Ralf Wenn Dein Daily 3,5t ziehen darf,dann ka[…]

Hallo, erstmal vielen Dank an Rüdiger, f&uum[…]

Hallo Florian, zu Deinen Fragen: Der große D[…]

suche 401-411 Frosch

guten Morgen, meine Suche ist aktuell u wird erwe[…]